Thursday, November 5, 2015

Throw Back Thursday

Facebook and Time Hop Apps like to remind you of the past. I think it's pretty cool to know the exact day something happened years ago, or to see trends over the past few years. Today I was reminded of a very important day in our past.

5 years ago today Squeaker was diagnosed with LM. She was 2 months old. Every breath she took she made noise. She couldn't keep food down. She didn't sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time, and would be up for an hour before going back to sleep. She wasn't putting on much weight less than 3 pounds since birth. We had seen her pediatrician almost constantly trying to figure out what was going on. Finally on this day we saw the Cardiologist and Pulmonologist. The Cardiologist did an Echo, and her heart was perfect. A few hours later we met with the Pulmonologist and withing a few minutes of walking in the room he had Squeaker diagnosed. A few minutes after that we had a treatment plan. For the first time I had a real answers. I knew it was far from over and done with but I felt like I could face it.

This memory is very important today. Today was the first time, the first November 5th that LM has not been a part of our lives. In January I wrote about the resolution of this condition. Need a refresher you can read about it here. I look at the picture of Squeaker when she was 2 months old and I see so much.

Her sweet little smile, and big brown eyes. Which reminds me how much I love her and although she struggled how sweet of a baby she was. I also see the swelling and darkness under her eyes, and it makes me sad. To think at a such a young age she was already sleep deprived and unwell. In my head I can still hear the gasping sound she would make while she slept. Maybe someday I will forget it. For now I am content that I don't have to listen to it in real life anymore.

As I type Squeaker is laying next to me in and out of sleep. Even though she is sick her breathing is quiet. Not just quiet but silent, I can't hear her breathe. I can see it. I can watch her chest and shoulders move but there is not real sound. Silence never felt more golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment